Saturday, August 15, 2026

The Virgin Birth

of Messiah Jesus is a doctrine directly taught in the Bible. So, I was surprised to learn that not all members of the United Methodist Church accept the virgin birth of Jesus as essential doctrine. Indeed, on 09 August 2026, the pastor of one United Methodist congregation preached a sermon which appears to cast doubt on the essentiality of the virgin birth of Jesus



In his sermon, the pastor states the following:

“I can talk about the related doctrine of the virgin birth. I can talk about where it came from, why it became important, and why it's okay to have doubts about it. I can talk about why it can be central to our faith and still be something outside of what we know to be human biology — how it is a powerful testament that is not, strictly speaking, an essential teaching of the church.”

In a contradictory commentary, United Methodist elder Dr. Jan Davis writes, "It is not my intent to criticize another UMC’s theology, but I do want to highlight why I believe the doctrine of the Virgin Birth is essential... The doctrine of the virgin birth is at the heart of our salvation.  If Christ is not both divine and human, our redemption would not be possible."

I agree with Dr. Davis in that the virgin birth of Jesus is essential Christian doctrine.

As a Certified Lay Speaker in the United Methodist Church, I have the duty of presenting United Methodist doctrine as it is presented in official United Methodist law.

The United Methodist Hymnal contains literature that presents official United Methodist doctrine. The Hymnal contains The Apostles' Creed which affirms the virgin birth of Messiah Jesus.

Paragraph 102 of The Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church (2020/2024) says, "We share with many Christian communions a recognition of the authority of Scripture in matters of faith..." 

So, I accept what Scripture says about the birth of Jesus. His virgin birth is essential because it is the start of his divinity. Jesus had to be conceived by the Holy Spirit in order to be God-incarnate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Virgin Birth

of Messiah Jesus is a doctrine directly taught in the Bible. So, I was surprised to learn that not all members of the United Methodist Churc...