Tuesday, July 21, 2026

The United Methodist Church

is not a perfect branch of the universal Church. The UMC does not have flawless ideology.


I tend to cringe when I encounter something within the UMC which appears to me to be a product of American ethnocentrism.

I tend to cringe when I encounter something within the UMC which appears to me to be a product of an unwritten, unspoken philosophy that subconsciously motivates UMC members.

Yet, I joined the UMC knowing that it has elements that I disagree with. Thankfully, those elements are not UMC law even if those elements have the support of UMC clergy.

As a UMC Certified Lay Speaker (current as of the date of this posting), I find myself in an awkward position. In a way, I officially represent my state's Conference. Thus, I am expected to present what the UMC stands for. 

I want to do that so long as "what the UMC stands for" is UMC law as defined by the UMC Book of Discipline.

The UMC Social Principles and the UMC Book of Resolutions are not UMC law. 

So, am I truly free to disagree with the UMC Social Principles and the UMC Book of Resolutions and remain in good standing with my congregation and my Conference?

I do not know, and the not knowing is worrisome.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sabbaths vs. Sabbath

  is one of the difficulties that one encounters if one hasn't been thoroughly educated in the Greek language of the New Testament. In h...